Terms & Conditions
Our terms and conditions of sale are set out below. If you have any questions then this is usually a good reference but if you cannot find an answer then please do not hesitate to contact us
Our terms and conditions of sale and service delivery are set out below. These Terms and Conditions govern your use of the Distinctive Door service and website. By visiting the Distinctive Door’s website you accept, and agree to, the content of these Terms and Conditions. We reserve the right to change the Terms and Conditions at any time and it is your responsibility to check regularly before ordering. This does not affect your statutory rights.
If you have any questions then this is usually a good reference but if you cannot find an answer then please e do not hesitate to contact us
Terms of Service
By placing an order via our website www.distinctivedoors.co.uk, you are offering to purchase a product on and subject to the following terms and conditions. All orders are subject to availability and confirmation of the order price.
Dispatch times may vary according to availability and any guarantees or representations made as to delivery times are subject to any delays resulting from postal delays or force majeure for which we will not be responsible. Please see our Delivery information page for further information.
In order to contract with Distinctive Doors you must be over 18 years of age. Distinctive Doors retains the right to refuse any request made by you. If your order is accepted we will inform you by email and we will confirm the identity of the party which you have contracted with. This will usually be Distinctive Doors or may in some cases be a third party. Where a contract is made with a third party Distinctive Doors is not acting as either agent or principal and the contract is made between yourself and that third party and will be subject to the terms of sale which they supply you. When placing an order you undertake that all details you provide to us are true and accurate, that you are an authorised user of the credit or debit card, or bank account used to place your order and that there are sufficient funds to cover the cost of the goods. All prices advertised are subject to such changes, more details on this can be found below in the Limitations section.
When you place an order, you will receive an acknowledgement e-mail confirming receipt of your order. This email will only be an acknowledgement and will not constitute acceptance of your order. Distinctive Doors retains the right to accept or reject this offer before processing the order. A contract between us for the purchase of the goods will not be formed until your payment has been approved by us, the prices have been verified, and the order has been processed. A second email will be sent confirming these arrangements.
- All products must be paid for in full before dispatch or collection unless by prior agreement.
- Cheque payments are subject to a normal clearing period.
- Cheque payments refused will be subject to a charge according to our loss of bank charges.
- All goods remain our property until payment is made in full and in cleared funds.
- Specially ordered products and purpose made products must be paid for in full before dispatch or collection. Where a part payment is agreed upon between us and yourself for specially ordered or manufactured products such part payment is not refundable. We reserve the right to pursue full payment for such items.
- Payments outstanding for whatever reason for longer than 7 days will be subject to interest at 5% per month above base rate at the time of ‘late payment’ communication either by post or email. Settlement of the original invoice amount without settlement of the charges detailed above after their application, after the date mentioned, does not absolve the buyer against the full dept at the time of payment including any fees. We reserve the right to pass your debt to a debt collection agency even after settlement of the original invoice should the charges against the debt remain unpaid.
- Orders and not considered confirmed until payment of a deposit or in full has been received. Goods will not be reserved and may be offered to other customers until payment is received. We reserve the right to change specification or offer alternatives if a payment is received at a later date.
- All Brassware and Ironmongery products are fully guaranteed against faulty manufacture for twelve calendar months from date of sale unless otherwise stated.
- Any ‘Special Offer’, ’ Sale’, ‘Clearance items’, ‘Stock Reduction Sale’ items are sold as scrap with no warranty or guarantee.
- ‘Special Offer’, ’ Sale’, ‘Clearance items’, ‘Stock Reduction Sale’ are on clearance for a number of reasons. These could be, but are not limited to, slight damage, end of line, miss-matched veneers and/or timbers, miss-matched batches, glazing panelling moulding differences, faults or marks to timbers or glazing. As these items are ‘sold as scrap’ as detailed above, these defects and/or differences are expected.
- Double Glazed units are Conditionally guaranteed for a period of 12 calendar months from date of purchase, any double glazed unit found to be of faulty manufacture during this period will be replaced free of charge providing it has been installed using ‘Butyl’ putty or the correct type of glazing silicone. ‘Linseed’ oil putty must not be used to install double glazed units.
- Timber Windows are Conditionally guaranteed against faulty manufacture for a period of 12 calendar months, any window or component found to be faulty during this period will be replaced free of charge providing that proper treatment and weather protection has been applied in the correct quantity to protect the timber.
- Timber Doors are Conditionally guaranteed against faulty manufacture for a period of 12 calendar months, any door or component found to be faulty during this period will be replaced free of charge providing that proper treatment and weather protection has been applied in the correct quantity to protect the timber.
- Other products are conditionally guaranteed for 12 months unless specifically otherwise stated.
- After the end of our warranty periods described above, any extended warranty given by a manufacturer, importer or import agent will be covered by them. We will advise you and provide contact details for the relevant party in order for you to resolve your query or claim. We will accept no liability for any claim after the above described warranty periods.
- Any item not paid for in full and where a balance is overdue is not guaranteed in any way whatsoever. In such circumstances neither replacement nor repair will be offered or carried out. Paying an overdue balance after a complaint is made will not reinstate a guarantee.
- Any site visit that is conducted to inspect products that have been reported as faulty which then upon our inspection are found to be the subject of abuse of some sort (for example, but not limited to, the goods being mistreated, not correctly decorated, not correctly fitted) then we reserve the right to make charges as follows: -
- Mileage at 45p per mile for travel in both directions to and from site from our premises in Sheffield.
- Hourly rate for inspector including time on site and travel at £40 per hour
- Administration costs at £60 per call out
- We are unable to guarantee against faster deterioration of items which are installed in coastal areas. In such places the sea air and/or salt spray will cause items to corrode much faster than usual and we cannot be held responsible for this. Any products with specific stated guarantees installed in places like this will have the stated guarantees reduced accordingly. For example, a chrome handle with a 10 year finish guarantee will only have a finish guarantee of 1 year as the chrome will be under conditions that limit it’s life and are not usual nor intended for it’s use. We only recommend the use of a suitable grade stainless steel for such locations, none of which we are able to supply.
- We are not able to offer ANY remedial service where you have exported goods off Mainland UK. If any faulty item is returned to us then we are able to fulfil any guarantee obligations, limited to the cost of the original item as mentioned elsewhere in these terms, but we cannot offer such services where the item(s) is(are) not in England/Scotland Mainland/Wales on the mainland.
- When making a warranty claim, we will initially request some information from you which is gathered in the form of an email form we ask you to complete. This is to ensure that we can pass the warranty to the applicable department from the onset. We may also request photographs of the faulty area. You agree to furnish us with the information in this form and images if requested.
- You agree to allow us access to inspect any items reported as faulty. Site access is a requirement for our inspectors and remedial teams, and as such we cannot proceed with any warranty claim for items not returned to us should you refuse us access. We assume an implied right of access in these situations unless told otherwise.
- We reserve the right to replace or repair at our option, within the scope of the applicable laws at the time of sale and/or warranty claim.
- Any special offer regarding handles applies to one pair of handles per door purchased.
- Any special offer regarding locks applies to one lock per door purchased.
- All special offers are subject to availability and subject to change without notice.
- If any particular order attracts a quantity discount, and then subsequently items are returned for credit which means the overall order would not have attracted the quantity discount, then we reserve the right to credit the goods returned making adjustment for the discount applied.
* Order 50 doors and receive a 10% discount
* Return 1 door for credit
* We credit the original cost of the door less the 10% discount received on the other 49
- In circumstances such as, but not limited to, where a made to order item, bespoke item, or standard item ordered verbally, we may send out a works order as part of our quotation and/or order confirmation process. We will be unable to proceed with the manufacture until we receive the signed copy back. Any quoted lead time is from the time we receive the works order back and is approximate and may be liable to delays. We do everything we can to meet our commitments to lead times but cannot accept liability for factors beyond our control.
- Bespoke, made to measure, or any other Made to Order items are non returnable as they are made specifically for you.
- Changes cannot be made to your order once the manufacture process for Made to Order items has started.
- We will happily store your doors for up to 12 weeks after your purchase with us. If your doors are out of stock at the time of purchase, it will be 12 weeks from them coming into stock. After this 12 weeks, we reserve our right to charge storage fees. If your items go uncollected for an extended period of time, we reserve our right to retain the cost of the doors in storage fees.
- Prior to installation all items should be stored as set out in our Storing your door page. This applies to ALL items supplied by us be them manufactured from timber, MDF, laminated or engineered product, or other construction materials.
- Moving the goods into a suitable area AFTER storage against our recommendations will not reinstate the warranty as the damage will have already been done.
- Failure to adhere to these instructions will seriously affect the durability of your goods and will void your warranty.
- Decoration must be carried out in accordance to our Decorating page. Failure to do so will void your warranty entirely. Decorating any item after failure will not reinstate the warranty as the damage to the products has already been done and we will not accept liability.
- Failure to adhere to these instructions will seriously affect the durability of your door and void your warranty.
- Doors can be reduced in size by cutting the maximum off each edge which we show at our Modern Methods page. Where we say up to, we use this term to mean that the given measurement is the maximum that can be cut off.
- Failure to adhere to these limits will void your warranty.
eg. if we say allows for up to 8mm (0.3") (0.3") to be cut off and you cut 9mm (0.35") (0.35") off then you have voided the warranty of the door.
- Door locks and latches should be placed well clear of any meeting joint. Our recommendation is 75mm (2.95") between any cut-out and the meeting joint. This is to ensure that the strength of the joint is not compromised. If you cut into the joint you will weaken that area, and a failure may occur.
- All of our products are supplied on the understanding that they will be installed by a professionally trained and competent installer. As such they are OEM packaged. Above average DIYers should have prior experience in fitting products like ours, and be fully conversant before attempting installation. Fitting a door is not an easy job, nor something that can be taught over the phone or by watching YouTube.
- The following shall apply in regard to flatness of our doors
Maximum 8mm (0.3") (0.3") out of plumb (twist) over the height of the door and/or frame
Maximum 5mm (0.2") (0.2") bow across the width of the door
Maximum 9mm (0.35") (0.35") bow across the height of the door
Please note that for the above to apply as limiting factors for exterior doors, the door must have been fitted using either a multipoint lock with bolts both top and bottom as well as the central deadlock, or with 2 separate locks which are spaced with sufficient distance between them, close to the top and bottom to act as support e.g. approx. with 600mm (23.6") (23.6") from the top & 700mm (27.55") (27.55") from the bottom. Failure to adhere to this stipulation greatly increases the chance of bow/twist etc. and we cannot guarantee against greater movement than shown above.
- Where decorative glazed doors contain a feature enclosed within a sealed glass unit, there may be some movement of the actual feature. This may cause a ‘rattling’ sound when closing and opening the door. This rattling is not considered to be a manufacturing fault.
- Double/Triple Glazed Units are manufactured by hand. This means that no 2 units will be exactly the same and small imperfections, colour differences in glass, and other minor variations are to be expected and NOT considered as faults.
- The orientation of the doors should be checked prior to installation when fitting multiple doors in the same area. This is because some types of glazing have a coating on 1 side only. This may involve removal of the film packaging before installation.
- Glass is fragile. Please remember that upon delivery or collection you will be asked to sign for your goods as being received in good condition. We will not be held responsible for damages to glazing after delivery. Please check any glazing BEFORE signing for your goods.
- Most of the glass we sell has already travelled 6 thousand miles before it reaches you with no damage which is testament to the toughening process. But even toughened glass can break with enough force, or impact from a sharp object. We cannot guarantee against glass breakages following delivery.
- The following shall apply in regard to all glazing as acceptable
Fine scratches not more than 25mm (1") (1") long
The above does not apply within 6mm (¼") (¼") of the edge of the pane, where minor scratching is acceptable.
Glass should be viewed in daylight from within the room and at least 2m from the panes (3m for toughened, laminated or coated glass) facing the glass.
Sale of items in general
- All items are offered subject to availability. We reserve the right to cancel any order where stock availability is not sufficient to cover your requirements. This includes, but is not limited to, any errors in stock records.
- Any quoted delivery dates or estimated delivery lead times within our delivery service schedule are over and above the lead time for any bespoke, special order or out of stock items. The delivery lead time should be added to the special order lead time if any is given.
- While we will make every effort to deliver your goods in a timely manner we reserve the right to cancel deliveries without notice, for example but not limited to reasons such as, adverse climatic conditions (Floods, Ice, Snow). At times of severe traffic disruption caused by bad weather we will be in touch with you as soon as the situation eases to rearrange delivery.
- Occasionally something goes wrong that we have not planned for. We will always try our very best to rectify the situation as fast as possible.
- We recommend that you do not book your installer until all goods have been received. This includes delays caused by goods damaged on delivery which need replacements sending. We will not be held responsible for wasted joiners time, or similar, if you have booked your trades-person before receiving all items.
- When you confirm our proposed delivery date your goods are marked as dispatched and passed to our delivery/transport system. Cancellation of your order after that point may incur charges and the refund charge is no longer refundable.
- Limitations to our delivery service are shown on our delivery service pages. These same limitations apply to collections.
- We accept no liability whatsoever for damaged or missing goods should you arrange for your own carrier to collect. We obtain a signature from your carrier/courier stating that we have supplied the goods in good condition. Should any damages or loss occur in transit you will need to raise a claim with your carrier/courier.
- We offer a Click and Collect service for orders placed verbally, and through our website. Please note that we reserve the right to cancel any such orders that are not paid for. Usually this with be after 7 days for unpaid order, but we may cancel before that time at our option.
If you are a consumer (not a business) then you have a Right to Cancel.
Consumers Right to Cancel within 14 days after delivery
- You have the right to cancel this contract within 14 days without giving any reason.
- If you cancel this contract, we will reimburse to you all the payments received from you, including the costs of delivery (except the supplementary costs arising if you chose a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us).
- Items returned for a refund should be returned in their original packaging.
- We may make a deduction from the reimbursement for loss in value of any goods supplied, if the loss is the result of unnecessary handling by you. This includes, but is not limited to, damaged, missing, or opened, original packaging.
- This cancellation period will expire after 14 days from the day on which you acquire, or a third party other than the carrier and indicated by you acquires, physical possession of the last good.
- You will have to bear the direct cost of returning the goods. For items that we will collect, the cost of the return shall be the same as the original delivery charge, or in cases where delivery was free of charge, the return carriage charge will be as per the charges detailed on our delivery charges page.
- We reserve the right to adjust the credit for returned items as stated above in our ‘Discounts’ section of our terms and conditions.
- We will make the reimbursement without undue delay, and not later than: -
-a) 14 days after the day we receive back from you any goods supplies, or
-b) (if earlier) 14 days after the day you provide evidence that you have returned the goods, or
-c) if there were no goods supplied, 14 days after the day on which we are informed about your decision to cancel this contract.
- We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of the reimbursement. We may withhold reimbursement until we have received the goods back or you have supplied evidence of having sent back the goods, whichever is the earliest.
- You shall send back the goods or hand them over to us at the address shown on our Contact Us page, without undue delay and in any event, no later that 14 days from the day on which you communicate your cancellation from this contract to us.
- Small items that can be sent by postal service (Royal Mail, Parcel Force etc.) should be returned to us by you and will not be collected by our services.
- Larger items (e.g. doors) may be returned to us using your own service or you can request collection by our own services. Please note that our return transportation service is chargeable.
- Goods should be returned to us within 14 days of cancellation.
- Made to order items are not returnable as covered by Distance Selling Regulations.
- Please note that items that are reserved online for collection, and are collected at a later time, are deemed as face to face sales, and are not considered to be Off Premises Sales.
- You are only liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods.
If you wish to cancel your order, please see our page Cancelling your order where we guidance as well as a handy form should you need it.
Returns after 14 days following delivery, orders under £42, and Business to Business (B2B).
In these instances, consumer rights change. Business to business sales are not covered by the Consumer Contracts Off Premises regulations. The following sub-section terms apply in regards to cancellations and returns in these instances.
- We reserve the right to refuse the return of correctly supplied items.
- Goods ordered by a customer either by telephone, e-mail or by our cart system, that we deliver correctly according to the information given by the customer and then returned at a later date, will be subject to an administration and restocking charge of 20% (variable at our discretion).
- The original Delivery charge will not be refunded under any circumstances where the customer has ordered the goods incorrectly. In such cases, if exchange of goods is required, or goods are collected by our carrier/transport service, and agreed between yourselves and ourselves, then we will charge again for delivery at the full rate.
Returns and cancellations in general
- Cancellations for orders not yet delivered, that were placed online, should be done by either using our website Cancel Order system, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting your order number, and name and address, or by writing to us at the address shown on our Contact Us page.
- Returns should be made to the address shown on our Contact Us page and should included a note detailing your original order details so that we can trace your order and process any credit/refund.
- Our liability shall be limited to the original purchase price of the goods & will not include any incidental costs and/or works and/or charges applied by any 3rd parties.
- We reserve the right to refuse liability for damage for items that have been moved between premises, moved around on building sites, between goods stores or different building floors after delivery, as damage may occur in this period.
- You must inspect your door BEFORE starting any work on it and report to us the issue within 48 hours of delivery. We will not accept any liability should you work on the goods, then report a fault e.g. if you fit a door then our assumption is that you have accepted it.
Description of goods
- Where doors are described as Oak, Hardwood, Clear Pine, Ash or other, this refers to the types or species of timbers used for veneers, lippings & other components used to manufacture the doors. All of our internal & most of our external doors are built using an engineered construction unless specifically stated that they are `Solid Timber`. A typical illustration of engineered construction methods can be seen in our Modern Methods pages. Alternative engineering methods are used by different manufacturers to create such products.
- Unless otherwise stated, where we refer to Oak or White Oak we mean American White Oak.
- The images on our website are used to represent the style of the doors only. The colours of these images should not be taken as true reflection of the doors you would get. Many of the images of doors on our website have been stained and/or varnished before the pictures were taken.
- The doors you will be supplied with are unfinished unless otherwise stated.
- Timber is a natural product & as such is liable to varying colours. This is beyond our control and while our manufacturers & suppliers do endeavour to colour match each component within each door no guarantee what-so-ever is given that one door will be a colour match to the next door. Similar applies to individual components used to manufacture a door (and/or frame). This is an unavoidable `feature` of real timber. If you need to avoid this then we suggest you select a man-made product such as uPVC.
- Timber is a natural product & as such it is liable to varying grain detail as well as knots. This is beyond our control and IS NOT considered a defect. Moreover, we consider is a feature of timber adding to the natural beauty of the product. If you wish to avoid this then we suggest you select a man-made product such as uPVC
- Upon request we are often able to supply sample ‘off-cuts’ of timber. These are selected at random and while they will give an overall feel for the colour and texture of the timber they are not necessarily an exact match, or indeed even a close match.
- Before installing our doors or other goods, you should satisfy yourself that you are happy with the colour match. Should you install the doors and then decide that you are not happy, we will not exchange any door. In other words, if you fit the door, our assumption is that you are satisfied.
- If required you are welcome to visit our warehouse and we will endeavour to select (where possible) with you, in our warehouse matching doors. But the liability is yours to ensure you are happy with all the doors.
- We are not able to guarantee that doors ordered at different times are going to be an exact match. Different batches of doors are liable to be slightly different to each other, dependent on where we source the door from and products available at time of manufacture. This can mean, but is not limited to, the shape of the moulding, the shape of the panels, rail position and size, differences in colour or texture of glazing, and differences in grain/timber. To minimise the risk of this we suggest that you order all your doors (or other items) in 1 batch.
- As websites are vulnerable to `hackers` and other attacks we reserve the right to check all submitted enquiries for price tampering and will quote and/or charge the correct price for any item. We also reserve the right to refuse to quote and/or supply any item and/or person or persons (whether an individual or acting on behalf of other individuals or company) if we see fit.
- Stock quantities shown online are not live, they are only a snapshot of stock available when the site was last published. We usually update information on limited stock items daily but this is not always possible. Some limited stock items may not actually be available if another customer has placed an order before you, and we may be forced to cancel your order or offer alternative products.
- Most doors & windows must now meet building regulations set out in Approved Document L. Regulations vary depending on many different things but in short the big differences are for the questions: -
1. Is it a replacement or for a new dwelling?
2. Is it in a new frame or in the existing?
3. Do I have adequate insulation in my walls, roof and floor?
4. Does it form a thermal break?
- Some doors may be required to meet the requirements of Approved Document Q. This means that they must be compliant with the industry specification PAS24:2012. Unless specifically mentioned, none of our products meet this requirement.
- It is the responsibility of the customer (you, your builder etc.) to make sure that the products are ordered correctly to meet these regulations due to the varying number of situations specific to each installation. We will not be held responsible if you do not.
- All offers are made subject to availability of stock and quantity remaining in stock at the time of order, including, but not limited to, the exclusion of items damaged when picking/loading/transporting.
- Specifications may vary from images shown and colours are for reference only and may not actually be the colour of the finished product.
- We reserve the right to change designs, styles, sizes etc. and to add or remove any item, style size etc. or quantity without notice.
- Our liability shall be limited to the original purchase price of the goods and shall not include any consequential, including but not limited to, labour and decorating costs.
- All sizes shown are subject to a manufacturing tolerance of +/- 2mm (0.1")
- Prices are correct at time of publication & are subject to change without notice.
- All prices on our website are inclusive of VAT applicable at the rate applicable at the time. Any quotation given includes VAT at the applicable rate at the time we give the quotation. Any VAT change automatically outdates any quotation regardless of the length of time since we quoted, irrespective of any mention to the contrary on such a quotation.
- VAT invoices are issued after delivery. We are not able to provide VAT invoices prior to delivery. The invoice date will be after delivery and after payment.
- If an item is not available to the exact design shown throughout this website we reserve the right to supply the nearest alternative available.
- We, the company, have a duty of care towards our members of staff and we will not tolerate any verbal or physical abuse. We reserve the right to refuse to serve you should we feel that we or our members of staff have been abused in any way.
- While we do strive to offer the best service we possibly can, we do reserve the right to refuse to offer our services or withdraw our services at any point for any reason whatsoever without any prior notification.
- Should we terminate our contract, be it verbal or written, we will not be held liable for any consequential costs and our liability shall be limited to a refund in whole or part (as determined by the scale of works we have already carried out) as determined by us.
In relation to all above clauses, your statutory rights are not affected.
E. & O.E. throughout. Updated March 12, 2019 15:56.